BOARD APPROVED MISSION: The Commission is committed to understanding and preserving our natural resources and promoting opportunities for their appreciation and enjoyment.
INVENTORY THE BEAVER ISLAND ARCHIPELAGO'S ECOTOURISM RESOURCES; PROVIDE FOR THE SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT OF THOSE RESOURCES; AND PROMOTE TOURISM WHICH WILL CONTRIBUTE TO THE ISLAND'S ECONOMY WITHOUT DIMINISHING THE LONG TERM HEALTH AND SUSTAINABILITY OF THE RESOURCE BASE OR THE ISLAND'S QUALITY OF LIFE.
1. Create an inventory of values, outlining the key values that are important to the Island.
* Survey Commission members
* Hunting, fishing, forestry and consumptive uses
* Scenery, birdwatching, sunset views, etc.
* General recreation such as hiking, biking, x-c skiing
2. Create an inventory of the Island's natural resources and habitats to serve as a basis for both protecting and using those resources, in a sustainable manner.
* Involve DNR, Tribal and CMU Biological Station staff in preparation, review and implementation of inventories based upon their work to date
* Bring together any/all existing natural resource inventories and develop a master inventory or list. Sources include MNFI, Nature Conservancy's Bi-National Reports, County GIS, Historical, PICAs, Island Framework Report. Tribal, CMU Biological station and other university data
3. Create an inventory of Island ecotourism providers and opportunities
* Enlist the Chamber of Commerce and other business persons interested in tourism to help lead on this goal
* Include transportation providers
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT AND PROTECTION GOALS:
1. Define strategies for long-term sustainable management of the archipelago's natural resources, ecosystems and biological diversity.
* Involve MSU or U of M in developing adaptive management systems model and plan
* Involve CMU in plan development
* Integrate DNR compartment management plans for state land
* Promote use of adaptive resource management plan model
* Integrate historical resources and heritage into management
* Include local groups and individuals expressing interest
2. Work with government at all levels and appropriate non-profit partners to create and maintain resources that enhance the Island's appeal to tourists and also enhance the quality of life for residents and property owners
* Work with local units on the Island for planning and zoning that protects resources and promotes appropriate tourism
* Provide access to Lake Michigan and inland lakes & streams and natural areas for tourists and non-shoreline owners
* Sustain wildlife populations for hunting, fishing, observation, enjoyment
* Prevent, identify and eliminate undesirable invasive species
* Monitor the outcomes of measures taken and make adaptations as necessary
PROMOTION AND MARKETING GOALS:
1. Enlist help and support from the Island's year-round and seasonal populations for sustainable ecotourism and resource management
* Education of public on the effort and benefits will secure support from Island residents, visitors and property owners
* Chamber can play a lead role
2. Develop strategies to help the Island business community to promote and take advantage of ecotourism on a sustainable basis
* Include Chamber of Commerce
* Market research to identify potential customer base
* Web-based resource for potential visitors that promotes and informs
* Integrate historical resources and heritage into marketing and promotion
3. Research and actively seek and apply for government grants and other private grants and donations for the development and validation of a complex adaptive management system model.