B. I. News on the 'Net, March 26-April 8, 2018

Phyllis' Daily Weather

April 8, 2018

Sleeping in is so nice, so every once in a while we just do it. It was worth every warm minute...until the dog licked the bottom of my foot. Right now it's 19°, wind is from the northwest, humidity is at 77%, pressure is rising from 30.09 inches, clear skies, and visibility is 9.6 miles.
TODAY: Partly sunny. Isolated snow showers in the morning, then scattered flurries in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 30s. NOrthwest winds at 10 mph. Chance of snow is 20%.
TONIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows around 19°. Light winds.

ON THIS DATE of April 8, 1974, Hank Aaron of the Atlanta Braves hits his 715th career home run and breaks the long-standing record held by Babe Ruth. Aaron’s record-breaking 715th homer came in the fourth inning of the Braves’ home opener against the Los Angeles Dodgers, with over 53,000 fans in attendance at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Aaron hit a pitch off lefthander Al Downing and the ball went sailing over the fence in left center field. After Aaron rounded the bases and reached home plate, he was lifted up and congratulated by his teammates. He then shook his father’s hand and hugged his mother. Sadly, in the months leading up to the new record, Aaron, who is African-American, received racist hate mail and death threats.

Aaron began his professional baseball career in 1952 in the Negro League and joined the Milwaukee Braves of the major leagues in 1954, eight years after Jackie Robinson had integrated baseball. Aaron was the last Negro League player to compete in the majors. He quickly established himself as an important player for the Braves and won the National League batting title in 1956. The following season, he took home the league’s MVP award and helped the Braves beat Mickey Mantle and the heavily favored New York Yankees in the World Series. In 1959, Aaron won his second league batting title. Season after season, Aaron turned in strong batting performances: “Hammerin’ Hank” hit .300 or higher for 14 seasons and slugged at least 40 homers in eight separate seasons. In May 1970, he became the first player in baseball to record 500 homers and 3,000 hits. Aaron played for the Milwaukee Braves from 1954 to 1965 and then moved with the team to Atlanta in 1966. On February 29, 1972, the Braves signed Aaron to a three-year, $200,000 per year contract that made him baseball’s best-paid player. In November 1974, the Braves traded Aaron to the Milwaukee Brewers, where he spent the final two seasons of his career.

Aaron retired from baseball in 1976 with 755 career home runs, a record that stood until August 7, 2007, when it was broken by Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants. Aaron still holds the records for most career runs batted in (2,297), most career total bases (6,856) and most career extra base hits (1,477). After retiring as a player, Aaron became one of baseball’s first black executives, with the Atlanta Braves. In 1982, he was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

DID YOU KNOW THAT in 2008, the city of Flint passed a law that gave police the authority to arrest anyone whose pants sagged so low as to expose their undies or bare butts. The local plumber's union has evidently declined to comment (or comply).

WORD OF THE DAY: truckle (TRUHK-uhl) which means to submit or yield obsequiously or tamely. The noun truckle originally (in the early 15th century) meant “a small wheel with a groove around its circumference for a cord or rope to run.” Later in the same century, truckle also had the meaning “a small wheel or roller placed under a heavy object to help move it.” In the 17th century truckle was short for truckle bed or trundle bed, i.e., a low bed moving on casters and usually stored under a larger bed. It is from this last sense, the supine sense, as it were, that truckle acquired its current meaning “to yield or submit meekly” in the 17th century.

Familiar Faces 3

by Joe Moore

Familiar Faces 3
By Joe Moore

More caring people on Beaver Island per capital than anywhere in the world is my truthful belief.  They don’t always have to agree on everything or anything, but when trouble happens, someone has some difficulty, people gather together to help.

Many years ago, a very caring medical center provider decided that there should be some people around that could help him out when things didn’t happen in a positive direction.  In other words, there was a need for some people to be trained in emergency medical services.  He was a very wise man, and what he started helped many, many people even after he left the island to pursue his life elsewhere.

Read the rest of the story HERE

Raymond Carnes Interview 2005

by Shamus Norgaard

This is another of the videos in the oral history project of the Beaver Island Historical Society. This gentle grew up on Beaver Island and then returned for the summers to work on the fishing boats. He has some interesting stories to tell. This interview took place in August of 2005. This is part of the digitization project of the videos in this collection.

View video of the interview HERE

Good Morning

by Cindy Ricksgers

Phyllis' Daily Weather

April 7, 2018

It's a wee bit chilly out this morning at 22° with a wind chill of 6°, wind is at 19 mph from the northwest with gusts to 21 mph, humidity is at 59%, pressure is rising from 29.98 inches, and visibility is 10 miles. Just to narrow it down, it's cold and windy.
TODAY: Partly sunny Scattered snow showers in the morning, then isolated snow showers in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 20s. West winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of snow 50%.
TONIGHT: Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Isolated snow showers. Lows around 17°. Northwest winds 5 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph. Chance of snow 20%.

ON THIS DATE of April 7, 1947, Henry Ford, the founder of Ford Motor Company, which developed the first affordable, mass-produced car–the Model T–and also helped pioneer assembly-line manufacturing, dies at his estate in Dearborn, Michigan, at the age of 83.

Ford was born July 30, 1863, on a farm located in present-day Dearborn. The eldest of six children, he was educated in a one-room schoolhouse and as a teenager trained as an apprentice machinist in Detroit. During the 1890s, while working as an engineer, Ford experimented with internal combustion engines and in 1896 built his first self-propelled, gas-engine vehicle, known as the Quadricycle.

Ford made two failed attempts at establishing a successful auto manufacturing company before incorporating the Ford Motor Company in 1903. Though Henry Ford was interested in mass-producing an affordable car, his Detroit-based company initially made just a few cars per day. Then in 1908, Ford introduced the Model T, which was easy to drive and maintain and sold for around $850; the vehicle quickly became a huge success. Within 10 years, half of all cars in the U.S. were Model Ts and by 1927, when the last Model T came off the assembly line, more than 15 million had been sold.

By 1913, Ford’s factory in Highland, Michigan, featured a continuous moving assembly line: Workers remained in place, each adding a standardized part to the vehicle as it proceeded along the line. The cost-efficient process, which soon enabled a new car to be churned out every 93 minutes, revolutionized the industry. Ford’s other innovations included the introduction, in 1914, of the $5 per day minimum wage and the eight-hour workday, at a time when most auto industry workers earned less than half that amount for a nine-hour day. Ford’s fair wage made it possible for ordinary factory workers to buy the cars they built and helped, in part, to create the American middle class.

Despite Henry Ford’s vision and success, his company was criticized for not responding fast enough to consumer demands for new models in the 1920s, which allowed General Motors to pull ahead and become the world’s biggest automaker until 2008, when it was surpassed by Japan-based Toyota.

DID YOU KNOW THAT Detroit residents were the first in the nation to have phone numbers. It seems that by 1879, the city had grown so large that operator were no longer able to route the calls by name alone.

WORD OF THE DAY: phraseology (frey-zee-OL-uh-jee) which means a manner or style of verbal expression; characteristic language. In the early 17th century (1604) phrasiology (or phrasiologie) was the original English spelling of phraseology. There is no Greek noun phrasiología, let alone phraseología, but phrasiology is correctly derived from Greek phrásis “speech, enunciation, expression, idiom, phrase” and the combining form -logía “science (of).” The current spelling phraseology ultimately rests on the Greek word phraseologia “phrase book” of Michael Neander (1525-95), a German humanist, educator and philologist. Neander possibly derived phrase- from phráseōs, the genitive singular of phrásis. Phraseology entered English in the mid-17th century.

Fiddlesticks…and other F Words

by Cindy Ricksgers

Phyllis' Daily Weather

April 6, 2018

Evidently Mother Nature thought that the snow from Tuesday night was beginning to look a little dirty so she sprinkled some new stuff overnight. The snow window shades, designed by Jack Frost are hanging a bit lower and some are rather crooked. Right now we have mostly cloudy skies, 25°, feels like 16°, wind is at 8 mph from the northwest, humidity is at 91%, pressure is steady at 29.71 inches, and visibility is 6.7 miles. We are under a WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY from 3 am Friday until 12 am on Saturday.
TODAY: Periods of snow showers. Patchy blowing snow in the afternoon. Breezy. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Highs around 30°. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts to around 30 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 40 mph in the afternoon.
TONIGHT: Partchy blowing snow in the evening. Numerous snow showers. Breezy. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows around 20°. NOrthwest winds 10 to 25 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Gusts up to 40 mph. Chance of snow is 70%.

ON THIS DATE of April 6, 1832 the Black Hawk War begins.

Determined to resist the growing presence of Anglo settlers on traditional tribal lands, the Sauk warrior Black Hawk is drawn into war with the United States.

Called Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak by his people, Black Hawk was born in 1767 in the village of Saukenuk in the present-day state of Illinois. He quickly earned a reputation as a fierce and courageous fighter in the frequent skirmishes between the Sauk and their principle enemy, the Osage. By the early 1800s, however, Black Hawk began to realize that the real threat to his people was the rapidly growing numbers of white people streaming into the region.

In 1804, representatives of the Sauk and Fox (Mesquakie) Indians signed a treaty that ceded all of their territory east of the Mississippi River to the United States. Black Hawk, however, maintained the treaty was invalid and had been signed by drunken Indian representatives. In 1816, he reluctantly confirmed the treaty with his own signature, but he later said he did not understand that this meant he would someday have to cede his home village of Saukenuk on the Rock River.

As the U.S. Army built more forts and droves of settlers moved into the territory during the next 15 years, Black Hawk grew increasingly angry. Finally, in 1831, settlers began to occupy the village of Saukenuk, an area that would later become Rock Island, Illinois. Regardless of the provisions of the 1804 treaty, Black Hawk refused to leave his own home. He began to prepare for war.

Early in 1832, General Edmund P. Gaines arrived in the area with a sizeable force of U.S. soldiers and Illinois militiamen. Initially, Black Hawk withdrew his large band of warriors, women, and children to the west side of the Mississippi. On April 5, however, he led them back into the disputed territory, believing that other Indian forces and the British to the north would support him in a confrontation. The following day, a large army of soldiers caught up to Black Hawk and his followers near the Rock River of northern Illinois. When neither the British nor his Indian allies came to his support, Black Hawk attempted to surrender. Unfortunately, one of his truce bearers was killed in the confusion, and the Black Hawk War began.

In May, Black Hawk’s warriors won a significant victory that left the Americans badly demoralized. As subsequent generations of Indian fighters would learn, however, the mighty force of the U.S. government was relentless. On August 2, U.S. soldiers nearly annihilated Black Hawk’s band as it attempted to escape west across the Mississippi, and Black Hawk finally surrendered.

Casualties in the 15-week war were grossly one-sided. An estimated 70 settlers or soldiers lost their lives; estimates for the number of Indians killed are between 442 and 592. Black Hawk was captured and incarcerated for a time in Fortress Monroe, Virginia. In order to demonstrate the futility of further resistance to the powerful Americans, Black Hawk was taken on a tour of the major eastern cities before being relocated to an Iowa Indian agency. He lived the remaining six years of his life under the supervision of a Sauk chief who had once been his enemy. Unlike Black Hawk, the Sauk chief had cooperated with the United States government.

DID YOU KNOW THAT Michigan has the nation's longest freshwater shoreline? If you straightened out Lake Superior's shoreline alone, it would reach from Duluth to the Bahamas.

WORD OF THE DAY: mushyheaded (MUHSH-ee-hed-id) which means 1) inadequately thought out 2) having vague, unsubstantiated, or unrealistic ideas of opinions. Mush, cornmeal boiled in water or milk until thick, eaten as a hot cereal, or molded and fried, is originally an Americanism dating back to the late 17th century. A derivative compound, mushhead “a stupid person,” also an Americanism, dates to the mid-19th century; its derivative adjective mush-headed “easily duped, stupid”, dates to the second half of the 19th century. Mushyheaded (or mushy-headed), a variant of mush-headed, dates to the late 20th century.

Transportation Authority Meeting

Feb 20 2018 reg meeting minutes draft

Agenda and Notice April 10 2018 Regular Meeting

Christian Church 41st and Gregg Family Tribute

July 7, 2004

This is another of the collection of the oral history project of the Beaver Island Historical Society. It records some of the most wonderful activities that took place on the island in the last twenty years or so. This includes a concert of Gospel Music with Mike Scripps, Cindy Gillespie Cushman, and Rich Scripps as well as several of the island people that we have lost recently. The joy and the faith shown in this, as well as the true love of community can easily be seen in this video. The editor noted that two of his family members participated in this celebration, one singing and the other taking photographs.

The Gospel Choir........Cindy Gillespie Cushman.......Suzi Fisher

Earl Seger..............Judi Mesiter........Chuck Schellenberg

Joyce Bartels...................Phil Gregg..............Howard Davis

Thank you's to Phil and Lil Gregg

View video of this HERE

What Did You Say 25

by Joe Moore

What Did You Say 25
By Joe Moore

On this day back in the history of Beaver Island EMS, I am working at the Stoney Acre Grill.  It’s a beautiful morning with the restaurant filling up with customers.  I’m a breakfast cook.  Well, no one usually allows me to just cook breakfast, so I have to cook breakfast and lunch, but I’m really a breakfast cook.

I learned my skills from a man named Ed Davies at a Big Boy Restaurant owned by John Mosher in Traverse City.  Back when I was a young lad in my middle teens, we were one of the busiest breakfast locations in the town frequently going through thirty dozen eggs from six a.m. until noon.  Ed had taught me to move in a kitchen.  He taught me to make each and every movement a choreographed movement of utter and shear speed and efficiency. 

Read the rest of the story HERE

Phyllis' Daily Weather

April 5, 2018

Right outside my window, the snow is beginning a slow slide off the roof. At the moment it looks like a window shade for Jack Frost. The edges are kind of lacy looking thanks to a bit of thaw yesterday. It's still darn cold though. Right now I'm showing 15°, feels like -1°, wind is at 9 mph with gusts to 19 mph from the north, humidity is at 79%, pressure is steady at 30.09 inches, and visibility is 9.4 miles.
TODAY: Partly sunny with a 40% chance of snow showers. Highs in the lower 30s. Southwest winds 5 to 15 mph shifting to the west 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 30 mph.
TONIGHT: Mostly cloudy with a 50% chance of snow showers. Lows in the lower 20s. West winds 5 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph in the evening.

ON THIS DATE of April 5, 1955, Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill, the British leader who guided Great Britain and the Allies through the crisis of World War II, retires as prime minister of Great Britain.

Born at Blenheim Palace in 1874, Churchill joined the British Fourth Hussars upon his father’s death in 1895. During the next five years, he enjoyed an illustrious military career, serving in India, the Sudan, and South Africa, and distinguishing himself several times in battle. In 1899, he resigned his commission to concentrate on his literary and political career and in 1900 was elected to Parliament as a Conservative MP from Oldham. In 1904, he joined the Liberals, serving a number of important posts before being appointed Britain’s First Lord of the Admiralty in 1911, where he worked to bring the British navy to a readiness for the war he foresaw.

In 1915, in the second year of World War I, Churchill was held responsible for the disastrous Dardanelles and Gallipoli campaigns and was thus excluded from the war coalition government. However, in 1917, he returned to politics as a cabinet member in the Liberal government of Lloyd George. From 1919 to 1921, he was secretary of state for war and in 1924 returned to the Conservative Party, where two years later he played a leading role in the defeat of the General Strike of 1926. Out of office from 1929 to 1939, Churchill issued unheeded warnings of the threat of Nazi and Japanese aggression.

After the outbreak of World War II in Europe, Churchill returned to his post as First Lord of the Admiralty and eight months later replaced Neville Chamberlain as prime minister of a new coalition government. In the first year of his administration, Britain stood alone against Nazi Germany, but Churchill promised his country and the world that Britain would “never surrender.” He rallied the British people to a resolute resistance and expertly orchestrated Franklin D. Roosevelt and Joseph Stalin into an alliance that eventually crushed the Axis.

After a postwar Labor Party victory in 1945, he became leader of the opposition and in 1951 was again elected prime minister. In 1953, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II and awarded the Nobel Prize in literature. After his retirement as prime minister, he remained in Parliament until 1964, the year before his death.

DID YOU KNOW THAT The J.W. Westcott II, which operates out of Detroit, is the world's only floating post office, as it delivers mail to ships as they pass under the Ambassador Bridge.

The Westcott company was established in 1874 by Captain John Ward Westcott, who ferried supplies (and by 1895 the mail) to passing ships via rowboat. By 1949, the company commissioned Paasch Marine Service of Erie, Pennsylvania to build J.W. Westcott II, named in honor of the Westcott company's founder. The ship is 45 feet (14 m) in length and has a beam of 13 feet (4.0 m). A single screw is powered by a 305 horsepower (227 kW) marine diesel engine. The boat's speed is rated at 15 knots.

Any mail addressed to members of ships' crews on vessels transiting the Detroit River can be delivered to them via J. W. Westcott II by being addressed "Vessel Name, Marine Post Office, Detroit, Michigan, 48222." The US postal zip code 48222 is exclusive to the floating post office and its ship addressees; as of 2016, the boat has a contract with the US Postal Service through 2021. The mail will be delivered to the appropriate ships (mainly lake freighters) as they transit the Detroit River, utilizing ropes and buckets.

On 23 October 2001, J. W. Westcott II sank in the deep water under the Ambassador Bridge while caught in the wake of MT Sidsel Knutsen, a much larger ship the boat was serving. The captain and one other crew member were killed and two others were rescued. J. W. Westcott II was later salvaged, refurbished and returned to service.
(Thanks to wikipedia for the information)

WORD OF THE DAY: Shangri-la (SHANG-fruh-lah) which means a faraway haven or hideaway of idyllic beauty and tranquility. The placename Shangri-La was coined by the English novelist James Hilton (1900-54), but the name has a firm Tibetan etymology. Shangri-La in Tibetan means “Shang Mountain Pass,” from Shang, the name of a region in Tibet; ri means “mountain,” and la means “pass.” Beyond the name itself, everything associated with Shangri-La is pure speculation and fantasy. Shangri-La entered English in 1933.

St. James Township Meetings Schedule

From the Beaver Island Association

In our Fall/Winter Island Currents newsletter we said we would be communicating information about the upcoming May 8 regular election ballot issue on township consolidation.  This email will include:

*  copies of the actual ballots for May 8 showing the consolidation proposal as well as a local school renewal, a county school renewal, and election of a township citizen representative to the consolidation transition committee if the proposal is passed

*  websites supporting both sides of the issue

*  timing and contact information to obtain an absentee ballot for voters who may not be on the island the day of the election

*  information on getting on the August primary election ballot as a party candidate for positions in the consolidated township if the ballot proposal is passed

This is an important election for the impact it could have on Beaver Island governance.  You are encouraged to study as much information as possible.  Recognize that two people can view the same subject from two different perspectives and draw totally different, sincere conclusions.  Don’t accept any statement or conclusion you hear or read at face value without reviewing the underlying facts supporting it and come to your own conclusion.  If you have questions, call those offering to answer questions from BOTH sides to help with your decision in making an informed choice.

If you are an island resident but not registered to vote, you can register with the Secretary of State or local clerk as late as April 9 for the May 8 election.


The actual May 8 ballots for each township can be viewed at this link:



https://lefevream.wixsite.com/beaverislandtownship  was created by Angel Welke and presents background on the history of the ballot proposal, the legal steps involved in consolidating townships, and discussion in support of consolidation.

https://wkohls.wixsite.com/consolidationinfo was created by Bill Kohls and presents discussion in opposition to consolidation.

 Check both websites for updates to make sure you have the latest information.


An absentee ballot application needs to be completed and returned to your  township clerk, who will then mail you an absentee ballot.  The deadline to request an application is 2:00 p.m. on May 5, or a blank can be downloaded online at https://www.michigan.gov/documents/AbsentVoterBallot_105377_7.pdf

The deadline to return an absentee ballot to the clerk is the close of polls on election day, May 8.  Be sure to consider mailing time to assure your ballot arrives in time.

Contact information for Carla Martin, Peaine Township clerk:

Mailing address

Peaine Township Clerk 

PO Box 91

Beaver Island, MI 49782

Email address  peainetownshipclerk@yahoo.com                                                                                                                           

Telephone (be sure to leave a message)

231.448.3540 (office)

231.510.1091 (cell)

Contact information for Alice Belfy, St. James Township clerk:

Mailing address

St. James Township Clerk
P.O. Box 85
Beaver Island, MI 49782

Email address  belfy.stjamestwp.bi@gmail.com

Telephone (be sure to leave a message)

(231) 448-2761 (office)
(231) 675-1044 (cell)

August Primary Documents

If the consolidation vote passes, party candidates for the new consolidated township officer and trustee positions will be elected in the August primary election.  For anyone wishing to appear as a party candidate for the August primary election an Affidavit of Identity and Nominating Petition must be completed and submitted to your current township clerk by April 24, 2018. (Yes, this is before the May 8 vote, but the state law makes no exception for primary candidates.)  Both of these documents are also available from your township clerk.

Bob Anderson, President

Phyllis' Daily Weather

April 4, 2018

Thank goodness Paul Welke and Island Airways got us home yesterday morning! During the night we really got dumped on by Mother Nature! I haven't been out to measure it because I can't get the back door open due to the drifting. However, I'm guessing it's close to 8 to 10 inches based on the railings around the back deck. Beaver Island Community School is closed due to the snow. Right now we have flurries and wind, 23°, feels like 8°, wind is at 20 mph with gusts to 28 mph, from the north, humidity is at 83%, pressure is rising from 29.74 inches, and visibility is 9 miles. We are under a Winter Storm Warning until 11:00 a.m. so please be careful if you have to go outside.
TODAY: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow in the morning then a slight chance of snow in the afternoon. Patchy blowing snow through the day. Breezy. Highs in the mid 20s. NOrthwest winds 10 to 25 mph with gusts to around 35 mph.
TONIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of snow showers. Lows around 16°. West winds 5 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph decreasing to 20 mph after midnight.

ON THIS DATE of April 4, 1968, Dr. King is assassinated.

Just after 6 p.m. on April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. is fatally shot while standing on the balcony outside his second-story room at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee. The civil rights leader was in Memphis to support a sanitation workers’ strike and was on his way to dinner when a bullet struck him in the jaw and severed his spinal cord. King was pronounced dead after his arrival at a Memphis hospital. He was 39 years old.

In the months before his assassination, Martin Luther King became increasingly concerned with the problem of economic inequality in America. He organized a Poor People’s Campaign to focus on the issue, including an interracialpoor people’s marchon Washington, and in March 1968 traveled to Memphis in support of poorly treated African-American sanitation workers. On March 28, a workers’ protest march led by King ended in violence and the death of an African-American teenager. King left the city but vowed to return in early April to lead another demonstration.

On April 3, back in Memphis, King gave his last sermon, saying, “We’ve got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn’t matter with me now, because I’ve been to the mountaintop…And He’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over, and I’ve seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight that we, as a people, will get to the promised land.”

One day after speaking those words, Dr. King was shot and killed by a sniper. As word of the assassination spread, riots broke out in cities all across the United States and National Guard troops were deployed in Memphis and Washington, D.C. On April 9, King was laid to rest in his hometown of Atlanta, Georgia. Tens of thousands of people lined the streets to pay tribute to King’s casket as it passed by in a wooden farm cart drawn by two mules.

The evening of King’s murder, a Remington .30-06 hunting rifle was found on the sidewalk beside a rooming house one block from the Lorraine Motel. During the next several weeks, the rifle, eyewitness reports, and fingerprints on the weapon all implicated a single suspect: escaped convict James Earl Ray. A two-bit criminal, Ray escaped a Missouri prison in April 1967 while serving a sentence for a holdup. In May 1968, a massive manhunt for Ray began. The FBI eventually determined that he had obtained a Canadian passport under a false identity, which at the time was relatively easy.

On June 8, Scotland Yard investigators arrested Ray at a London airport. He was trying to fly to Belgium, with the eventual goal, he later admitted, of reaching Rhodesia. Rhodesia, now called Zimbabwe, was at the time ruled by an oppressive and internationally condemned white minority government. Extradited to the United States, Ray stood before a Memphis judge in March 1969 and pleaded guilty to King’s murder in order to avoid the electric chair. He was sentenced to 99 years in prison.

Three days later, he attempted to withdraw his guilty plea, claiming he was innocent of King’s assassination and had been set up as a patsy in a larger conspiracy. He claimed that in 1967, a mysterious man named “Raoul” had approached him and recruited him into a gunrunning enterprise. On April 4, 1968, he said, he realized that he was to be the fall guy for the King assassination and fled to Canada. Ray’s motion was denied, as were his dozens of other requests for a trial during the next 29 years.

During the 1990s, the widow and children of Martin Luther King Jr. spoke publicly in support of Ray and his claims, calling him innocent and speculating about an assassination conspiracy involving the U.S. government and military. U.S. authorities were, in conspiracists’ minds, implicated circumstantially. FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover obsessed over King, who he thought was under communist influence. For the last six years of his life, King underwent constant wiretapping and harassment by the FBI. Before his death, Dr. King was also monitored by U.S. military intelligence, which may have been asked to watch King after he publicly denounced the Vietnam War in 1967. Furthermore, by calling for radical economic reforms in 1968, including guaranteed annual incomes for all, King was making few new friends in the Cold War-era U.S. government.

Over the years, the assassination has been reexamined by the House Select Committee on Assassinations, the Shelby County, Tennessee, district attorney’s office, and three times by the U.S. Justice Department. The investigations all ended with the same conclusion: James Earl Ray killed Martin Luther King. The House committee acknowledged that a low-level conspiracy might have existed, involving one or more accomplices to Ray, but uncovered no evidence to definitively prove this theory. In addition to the mountain of evidence against him–such as his fingerprints on the murder weapon and his admitted presence at the rooming house on April 4–Ray had a definite motive in assassinating King: hatred. According to his family and friends, he was an outspoken racist who informed them of his intent to kill Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He died in 1998.

DID YOU KNOW THAT the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald, the wrecked ship made famous in a Gordon Lightfoot song, is on display at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at the Whitefish Point Light Station.

WORD OF THE DAY: mythoclast (MITH-uh-klast) which means a destroyer or debunker of myths. English mythoclast comes from two familiar Greek words. The Greek noun mŷthos has many meanings: “speech, word, public speech, unspoken word, matter, fact,” as in mythology, “a set of stories, traditions, or beliefs.” The Greek combining form -klastēs “breaker” is most familiar in iconoclast “one who breaks images or statues” (literally and figuratively). A mythoclast is one who breaks or destroys a myth or myths in general. Mythoclast entered English in the late 19th century.

Pinky Harmon Roast in 2003

There are so many wonderful memories as part of the collection of videos of the Beaver Island Historical Society. This is one of those examples of these memories. Several of these participants in the roast are no longer with us now. Some are, but many have passed on or moved off the island. This project has allowed the editor to catch up on some of thee many events that he could not attend due to being on-call as a paramedic. The project has also opened his eyes and given new outlook on many of the things that are current events on the island from island traditiosn to current issues of consolidation of townships.

View a small gallery of photos HERE

View the video HERE

Weather by Joe

April 3, 2018

We made it home thanks to Paul Welke and Island Airways. This is supposed to be a weather report, but it will start out as an editorial. There are so many ways that the entire crew of Island Airways have helped us out. It is simply not possible to list them all, but here are a few starting with our return to the Island. The weather was supposed to be bad today, but an early return to Charlevoix by Paul Welke to get us is greatly appreciated. We were loaded into the plane. I have a really long set of legs, and the first thing I noticed was that the copilot's seat had already been moved up, giving me leg room. A friendly pilot smiled and got us on the way. When we landed, our car had been cleared off, was running and warm. The ground crew helped us load our bags into the car, and one UPS package was already in the back seat. What an absolutely wonderful service we received! Thank you, Island Airways! These are just a few of the little things that are so appreciated.

It's a little after noon, and, yes, we know the weather report is late, but we've only been home for a little more than an hour, and no ability to post anything without a computer before getting home. It's snowing outside and we got some snow overnight or yesterday also. We have the snow shades over our windows with the sliding snow stopping and hanging over the edge of the roof acting and looking like a valance for the curtains.

Right now it is 31 degrees with winds from the NE at 7 mph. The humidity is 100% with the dewpoint at 31 degrees as well as the temperature. Visibility right now is only three-quarters of a mile. The pressure is 29.95 and it feels like 24 degrees outside.

This Afternoon
Snow and rain. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 4 inches. Highs in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.
Snow. Patchy blowing snow after midnight. Breezy. Snow may be heavy at times in the evening. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 5 to 7 inches. Lows in the lower 20s. North winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 40 mph.

On this day in 1860, the first Pony Express mail, traveling by horse and rider relay teams, simultaneously leaves St. Joseph, Missouri, and Sacramento, California. Ten days later, on April 13, the westbound rider and mail packet completed the approximately 1,800-mile journey and arrived in Sacramento, beating the eastbound packet’s arrival in St. Joseph by two days and setting a new standard for speedy mail delivery. Although ultimately short-lived and unprofitable, the Pony Express captivated America’s imagination and helped win federal aid for a more economical overland postal system. It also contributed to the economy of the towns on its route and served the mail-service needs of the American West in the days before the telegraph or an efficient transcontinental railroad.

The Pony Express debuted at a time before radios and telephones, when California, which achieved statehood in 1850, was still largely cut off from the eastern part of the country. Letters sent from New York to the West Coast traveled by ship, which typically took at least a month, or by stagecoach on the recently established Butterfield Express overland route, which could take from three weeks to many months to arrive. Compared to the snail’s pace of the existing delivery methods, the Pony Express’ average delivery time of 10 days seemed like lightning speed.

The Pony Express Company, the brainchild of William H. Russell, William Bradford Waddell and Alexander Majors, owners of a freight business, was set up over 150 relay stations along a pioneer trail across the present-day states of Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and California. Riders, who were paid approximately $25 per week and carried loads estimated at up to 20 pounds of mail, were changed every 75 to 100 miles, with horses switched out every 10 to 15 miles. Among the riders was the legendary frontiersman and showman William “Buffalo Bill” Cody (1846-1917), who reportedly signed on with the Pony Express at age 14. The company’s riders set their fastest time with Lincoln’s inaugural address, which was delivered in just less than eight days.

The initial cost of Pony Express delivery was $5 for every half-ounce of mail. The company began as a private enterprise and its owners hoped to gain a profitable delivery contract from the U.S. government, but that never happened. With the advent of the first transcontinental telegraph line in October 1861, the Pony Express ceased operations. However, the legend of the lone Pony Express rider galloping across the Old West frontier to deliver the mail lives on today. (from history.com)

Beaver Island (April A~Z Challenge)

by Cindy Ricksgers

Chicken Memories, Part #2 (April A~Z Challenge)

by Cindy Ricksgers

St. James Township Documents

for April 4, 2018, 10 a.m. meeting








pwc2018meetingdates Public Works Committee


040318 - PWC - AGENDA


Weather by Joe

April 2, 2018

Up early this morning 6:30 a.m. for a trip to the mainland for more tests. This morning it is 26 degrees with the wind out of the west at 9 mph, making it feel like 17. The pressure is 30.05 with a dewpoint of 16 degrees. Visbility is ten miles

Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 30s. West winds 5 to 15 mph.
Cloudy. Chance of snow showers in the evening, then snow showers after midnight. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Lows in the upper 20s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east after midnight.

On this day in 2005, John Paul II, history’s most well-traveled pope and the first non-Italian to hold the position since the 16th century, dies at his home in the Vatican. Six days later, two million people packed Vatican City for his funeral, said to be the biggest funeral in history.

John Paul II was born Karol Jozef Wojtyla in Wadowice, Poland, 35 miles southwest of Krakow, in 1920. After high school, the future pope enrolled at Krakow’s Jagiellonian University, where he studied philosophy and literature and performed in a theater group. During World War II, Nazis occupied Krakow and closed the university, forcing Wojtyla to seek work in a quarry and, later, a chemical factory. By 1941, his mother, father, and only brother had all died, leaving him the sole surviving member of his family.

Although Wojtyla had been involved in the church his whole life, it was not until 1942 that he began seminary training. When the war ended, he returned to school at Jagiellonian to study theology, becoming an ordained priest in 1946. He went on to complete two doctorates and became a professor of moral theology and social ethics. On July 4, 1958, at the age of 38, he was appointed auxiliary bishop of Krakow by Pope Pius XII. He later became the city s archbishop, where he spoke out for religious freedom while the church began the Second Vatican Council, which would revolutionize Catholicism. He was made a cardinal in 1967, taking on the challenges of living and working as a Catholic priest in communist Eastern Europe. Once asked if he feared retribution from communist leaders, he replied, “I m not afraid of them. They are afraid of me.”

Wojtyla was quietly and slowly building a reputation as a powerful preacher and a man of both great intellect and charisma. Still, when Pope John Paul I died in 1978 after only a 34-day reign, few suspected Wojtyla would be chosen to replace him. But, after seven rounds of balloting, the Sacred College of Cardinals chose the 58-year-old, and he became the first-ever Slavic pope and the youngest to be chosen in 132 years.

A conservative pontiff, John Paul II s papacy was marked by his firm and unwavering opposition to communism and war, as well as abortion, contraception, capital punishment, and homosexual sex. He later came out against euthanasia, human cloning, and stem cell research. He traveled widely as pope, using the eight languages he spoke (Polish, Italian, French, German, English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Latin) and his well-known personal charm, to connect with the Catholic faithful, as well as many outside the fold.

On May 13, 1981, Pope John Paul II was shot in St. Peter s Square by a Turkish political extremist, Mehmet Ali Agca. After his release from the hospital, the pope famously visited his would-be assassin in prison, where he had begun serving a life sentence, and personally forgave him for his actions. The next year, another unsuccessful attempt was made on the pope s life, this time by a fanatical priest who opposed the reforms of Vatican II.

Although it was not confirmed by the Vatican until 2003, many believe Pope John Paul II began suffering from Parkinson s disease in the early 1990s. He began to develop slurred speech and had difficulty walking, though he continued to keep up a physically demanding travel schedule. In his final years, he was forced to delegate many of his official duties, but still found the strength to speak to the faithful from a window at the Vatican. In February 2005, the pope was hospitalized with complications from the flu. He died two months later.

Pope John Paul II is remembered for his successful efforts to end communism, as well as for building bridges with peoples of other faiths, and issuing the Catholic Church s first apology for its actions during World War II. He was succeeded by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, who became Pope Benedict XVI. Benedict XVI began the process to beatify John Paul II in May 2005. (from history.com)

Word of the Day: abide verb ( uh-BYDE) to bear patiently, to endure without yielding, to withstand, to accept without objection. Abide may sound rather old-fashioned these days. The word has been around since before the 12th century, but it is a bit rare now, except in certain specialized uses. Even more archaic to our modern ear is abidden, the original past participle of abide. Today, both the past tense and the past participle of abide are served by either abode or abided, with abided being the more frequent choice. Abide turns up often in the phrase "can't (or couldn't) abide." The expression abide by, which means "to conform to" or "to acquiesce in," is also common. Related terms include the participial adjective abiding (which means "enduring" or "continuing," as in "an abiding interest in nature"), the noun abidance ("continuance" or "compliance"), and the noun abode ("residence").

St. James Township Documents

April 4, 2018, at 10 a.m.



Video Report for March 2018

This month was the busiest month on record for video and for live streaming. This month 1187 unique IP addresses viewed 3904 individual video clips, using 407.7 GB of bandwidth. Of this, 1000 unique IP addresses viewed current video clips of 3548 clips, using 386.9 GB of bandwidth. The 228 unique IP addresses viewed live streamed events, some viewing more than once, making 352 events totally for the month using 22.8 GB of bandwidth. The rest viewed the older clips on http://beaverislandnewsarchives.com.

The beaverislandnews.com website had 1807 unique visitors visiting 6,437 times, and viewing 12,789 pages. This has been a busy month with several inquiries and renewals coming up.

Easter Vigil at 9 p.m. and Easter Sunday at Holy Cross

The last two services of the Triduum took place after sunset on Saturday, 9 p.m., and at normal church time on Sunday, 9:30 a.m. The Vigil service begins in the dark with the lighting of the candles, and almost half of the service is done in the dark. It is a beautiful service, and takes lots of effort on the part of participants including the choir, the organist, and the soloists.

Twenty-five unique IP addresses viewed the Easter Vigil service, and twenty viewed the Easter service live at http://beaverisland.tv.

Easter Vigil

Patrick Nugent introduces the service

The congregation and the priest process in the dark.

Phil Becker and Sheri Timsak sing.

Heidi Vigil and Kathleen McNamara Green do readings, while Phil Becker does the Psalms.

Father Jim Siler reads the Gospel and gives the sermon.

View video of the Vigil service HERE

Easter Sunday from Holy Cross

The church was beautiful this morning with the sunshine.

The decorations for Easter are stupendous.

The reader was Anne Partridge. Father Jim Siler read the Gospel.

Father JIm came down to give his sermon.

View video of the service HERE

The 52 Lists (for Happiness) Project #14 (and Day #1 of the April A ~ Z Challenge)

by Cindy Ricksgers

Phyllis' Daily Weather

April 1, 2018

Happy, Happy, Easter to each one of you! I have to mention that there will NOT be a weather report tomorrow as we are scheduled for an 8:00 flight off-island and I have a 10:00 little bit of surgery on my adrenal gland. No big deal, it's a biopsy but it is considered a surgery. I suppose because they knock you out (thank goodness), and it's done as out-patient. Anyhow, that's how we're spending Easter Monday. Fun stuff. Just another little pot-hole in this cancer journey. It will all be just fine and I'll be back to bug you on Tuesday morning (weather permitting). In the meantime, behave yourselves
Right now we have clear skies, 21°, feels like 9°, (think of it as invigorating or really, really fresh), wind is at 11 mph from the west with gusts to 18 mph, humidity is at 72%, pressure is steady at 30.12 inches, and visibility is 8.5 miles.
TODAY: Partly sunny with a 40% chance of snow showers. Highs in the upper 20s. West winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.
TONIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of snow showers. Lows around 20°. West winds 5 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph.

ON THIS DATE of April 1, 1700 English pranksters begin popularizing the annual tradition of April Fools’ Day by playing practical jokes on each other.

Although the day, also called All Fools’ Day, has been celebrated for several centuries by different cultures, its exact origins remain a mystery.

Some historians speculate that April Fools’ Day dates back to 1582, when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, as called for by the Council of Trent in 1563. People who were slow to get the news or failed to recognize that the start of the new year had moved to January 1 and continued to celebrate it during the last week of March through April 1 became the butt of jokes and hoaxes.

These pranks included having paper fish placed on their backs and being referred to as “poisson d’avril” (April fish), said to symbolize a young, easily caught fish and a gullible person.

Historians have also linked April Fools’ Day to festivals such as Hilaria, which was celebrated in ancient Rome at the end of March and involved people dressing up in disguises. There’s also speculation that April Fools’ Day was tied to the vernal equinox, or first day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere, when Mother Nature fooled people with changing, unpredictable weather.

April Fools’ Day spread throughout Britain during the 18th century. In Scotland, the tradition became a two-day event, starting with “hunting the gowk,” in which people were sent on phony errands (gowk is a word for cuckoo bird, a symbol for fool) and followed by Tailie Day, which involved pranks played on people’s derrieres, such as pinning fake tails or “kick me” signs on them.

In modern times, people have gone to great lengths to create elaborate April Fools’ Day hoaxes. Newspapers, radio and TV stations and Web sites have participated in the April 1 tradition of reporting outrageous fictional claims that have fooled their audiences.

In 1957, the BBC reported that Swiss farmers were experiencing a record spaghetti crop and showed footage of people harvesting noodles from trees; numerous viewers were fooled. In 1985, Sports Illustrated tricked many of its readers when it ran a made-up article about a rookie pitcher named Sidd Finch who could throw a fastball over 168 miles per hour.

In 1996, Taco Bell, the fast-food restaurant chain, duped people when it announced it had agreed to purchase Philadelphia’s Liberty Bell and intended to rename it the Taco Liberty Bell. In 1998, after Burger King advertised a “Left-Handed Whopper,” scores of clueless customers requested the fake sandwich.

DID YOU KNOW THAT Vernor's Ginger Ale, which was created by a Detroit druggist, is possibly the oldest soft drink still on the market. It's definitely the oldest-surviving brand of ginger ale.

WORD OF THE DAY: blate (blayt) which means to babble or to cry (as a verb); timid (as an adjective). For verb: Apparently an alteration of bleat, whose earlier pronunciation rhymed with the word great. Earliest documented use: 1878.
For adjective: From Scots blate (timid, sheepish). Earliest documented use: 1000.

St. James Meeting Schedule for 2018-19

Phyllis' Daily Weather

March 31, 2018

I guess Mother Nature decided that the ground was looking rather dirty, so it's now covered with a light cover of the white stuff. Right now it's 28°, feels like 24°, wind is at 7 mph from the east north east, humidity is at 90%, pressure is rising from 30.01 inches, and visibility is 5.7 miles. We are under a Wind Advisory from 11 am this morning until 11 pm tonight. Winds could get as high as 45 to 50 mph.
TODAY: Snow in the morning, then rain and snow in the afternoon. Breezy. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 7 inches. Highs in the upper 30s. South winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts to around 30 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 50 mph in the afternoon.
TONIGHT: Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 50% chance of snow showers. Windy. Lows around 17°. Northwest winds 15 to 30 mph. Gusts up to 50 mph decreasing to 35 mph after midnight.

ON THIS DATE of March 31, 1889, the Eiffel Tower is dedicated in Paris in a ceremony presided over by Gustave Eiffel, the tower’s designer, and attended by French Prime Minister Pierre Tirard, a handful of other dignitaries, and 200 construction workers.

In 1889, to honor of the centenary of the French Revolution, the French government planned an international exposition and announced a design competition for a monument to be built on the Champ-de-Mars in central Paris. Out of more than 100 designs submitted, the Centennial Committee chose Eiffel’s plan of an open-lattice wrought-iron tower that would reach almost 1,000 feet above Paris and be the world’s tallest man-made structure. Eiffel, a noted bridge builder, was a master of metal construction and designed the framework of the Statue of Liberty that had recently been erected in New York Harbor.

Eiffel’s tower was greeted with skepticism from critics who argued that it would be structurally unsound, and indignation from others who thought it would be an eyesore in the heart of Paris. Unperturbed, Eiffel completed his great tower under budget in just two years. Only one worker lost his life during construction, which at the time was a remarkably low casualty number for a project of that magnitude. The light, airy structure was by all accounts a technological wonder and within a few decades came to be regarded as an architectural masterpiece.

The Eiffel Tower is 984 feet tall and consists of an iron framework supported on four masonry piers, from which rise four columns that unite to form a single vertical tower. Platforms, each with an observation deck, are at three levels. Elevators ascend the piers on a curve, and Eiffel contracted the Otis Elevator Company of the United States to design the tower’s famous glass-cage elevators.

The elevators were not completed by March 31, 1889, however, so Gustave Eiffel ascended the tower’s stairs with a few hardy companions and raised an enormous French tricolor on the structure’s flagpole. Fireworks were then set off from the second platform. Eiffel and his party descended, and the architect addressed the guests and about 200 workers. In early May, the Paris International Exposition opened, and the tower served as the entrance gateway to the giant fair.

The Eiffel Tower remained the world’s tallest man-made structure until the completion of the Chrysler Building in New York in 1930. Incredibly, the Eiffel Tower was almost demolished when the International Exposition’s 20-year lease on the land expired in 1909, but its value as an antenna for radio transmission saved it. It remains largely unchanged today and is one of the world’s premier tourist attractions.

DID YOU KNOW THAT Battle Creek, a city well-known to anyone who ever sent off for a prize earned by saving up cereal box tops, is the cereal capital of the world due to the presence of the Kellogg Company. Kellogg's, by the way, offered its first mail-in cereal box prize back in 1909.

WORD OF THE DAY: kosher (KOH-sher) which means proper; legitimate; genuine; authentic. Kosher is one of the most common words of Yiddish origin in American English. Yiddish kosher comes from Hebrew kosher (Ashkenazi pronunciation), from Hebrew kāshēr “right, fit, proper.” Kosher as an adjective “pertaining to foods prepared according to Jewish dietary law” dates from the mid-19th century; the sense “proper, legitimate” dates from the late 19th century. Kosher as a noun “kosher food, kosher store” dates from the late 19th century.

Peaine Township Annual Meeting Documents

March 31, 2018, 10 a.m.

Meeting Notice

Airport 2018-2019 Draft Proposed Budget

General Fund 2018 - 2019 draft budget

Roads 2018 - 2019 draft budget

Proposed Credit Card Policy

Good Friday Service 2018 at Noon

March 30, 2018

View pictures of Holy Thursday and Good Friday HERE

Today's service began with the Stations of the Cross. The narrator for today was Patrick Nugent. The reader today was Kathleen McNamara Green. The service was quite formal and the intercessions were sung by Phil Becker and Father Jim Syler. The Passion was read by Pat Nugent, Father Jim Syler, and Kathleen McNamara Green. It was a beautiful service. The attendees departed in silence.

View video of the service HERE

Mass from Holy Cross-Holy Thursday

Holy Thursday takes place this year during Spring Break. Pat Nugent introduces the service and gives and overview of the night.

Jacque LaFreniere did the readings

Father Jim Siler sang the Mass

The Triduum, a three day period, began with the Mass of the Lord's Supper, on March 29, 2018, at 7 p.m. The greatest majority of the Mass was sung by the celebrant and the choir.

View video of the service HERE

Phyllis' Daily Weather

March 30, 2018

Clear skies this morning, 27°, feels like 20°, wind from the northwest, humidity is at 78%, pressure is steady at 30.18 inches, and visibility is 9 miles.
TODAY: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 30s. West winds 5 to 15 mph.
TONIGHT: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow in the evening then a slight chance of snow after midnight. Lows in the mid 20s. West winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south with gusts to around 20 mph after midnight. Chance of snow is 40%.

ON THIS DATE of March 30, 1981, President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by a deranged drifter named John Hinckley Jr.

The president had just finished addressing a labor meeting at the Washington Hilton Hotel and was walking with his entourage to his limousine when Hinckley, standing among a group of reporters, fired six shots at the president, hitting Reagan and three of his attendants. White House Press Secretary James Brady was shot in the head and critically wounded, Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy was shot in the side, and District of Columbia policeman Thomas Delahaney was shot in the neck. After firing the shots, Hinckley was overpowered and pinned against a wall, and President Reagan, apparently unaware that he’d been shot, was shoved into his limousine by a Secret Service agent and rushed to the hospital.

The president was shot in the left lung, and the .22 caliber bullet just missed his heart. In an impressive feat for a 70-year-old man with a collapsed lung, he walked into George Washington University Hospital under his own power. As he was treated and prepared for surgery, he was in good spirits and quipped to his wife, Nancy, ”Honey, I forgot to duck,” and to his surgeons, “Please tell me you’re Republicans.” Reagan’s surgery lasted two hours, and he was listed in stable and good condition afterward.

The next day, the president resumed some of his executive duties and signed a piece of legislation from his hospital bed. On April 11, he returned to the White House. Reagan’s popularity soared after the assassination attempt, and at the end of April he was given a hero’s welcome by Congress. In August, this same Congress passed his controversial economic program, with several Democrats breaking ranks to back Reagan’s plan. By this time, Reagan claimed to be fully recovered from the assassination attempt. In private, however, he would continue to feel the effects of the nearly fatal gunshot wound for years.

Of the victims of the assassination attempt, Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy and D.C. policeman Thomas Delahaney eventually recovered. James Brady, who nearly died after being shot in the eye, suffered permanent brain damage. He later became an advocate of gun control, and in 1993 Congress passed the “Brady Bill,” which established a five-day waiting period and background checks for prospective gun buyers. President Bill Clinton signed the bill into law.

After being arrested on March 30, 1981, 25-year-old John Hinckley was booked on federal charges of attempting to assassinate the president. He had previously been arrested in Tennessee on weapons charges. In June 1982, he was found not guilty by reason of insanity. In the trial, Hinckley’s defense attorneys argued that their client was ill with narcissistic personality disorder, citing medical evidence, and had a pathological obsession with the 1976 film Taxi Driver, in which the main character attempts to assassinate a fictional senator. His lawyers claimed that Hinckley saw the movie more than a dozen times, was obsessed with the lead actress, Jodie Foster, and had attempted to reenact the events of the film in his own life. Thus the movie, not Hinckley, they argued, was the actual planning force behind the events that occurred on March 30, 1981.

The verdict of “not guilty by reason of insanity” aroused widespread public criticism, and many were shocked that a would-be presidential assassin could avoid been held accountable for his crime. However, because of his obvious threat to society, he was placed in St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, a mental institution. In the late 1990s, Hinckley’s attorney began arguing that his mental illness was in remission and thus had a right to return to a normal life. Beginning in August 1999, he was allowed supervised day trips off the hospital grounds and later was allowed to visit his parents once a week unsupervised. The Secret Service voluntarily monitors him during these outings. If his mental illness remains in remission, he may one day be released.

DID YOU KNOW THAT In Michigan you get 10 cents back for recycling a can, which is the highest payback rate in the country. While the state also has the nation's highest recycling rate (no surprise there), they're also losing over $10 million a year due to out-of-staters fraudulently trying to cash in. Blame the border states: Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio which don't offer any can refunds at all.

WORD OF THE DAY: sepulcher (SEP-uh l-ker) which means a tomb, grave, or burial place. Sepulcher comes via French from Latin sepulcrum “grave, tomb,” a derivative of the verb sepelīre “to perform the funeral rites, bury, inter.” The Latin verb comes from the Proto-Indo-European root sep- “to honor,” extended to sep-el- “sorrow, care, awe.” The same root appears in Sanskrit sapati “(he) worships, tends.” The Greek derivative of sep- is the root hep-, which usually occurs in compound verbs, e.g., amphiépein “to look after, tend to,” as in the last line of the Iliad, “Thus they tended to ( amphíepon) the funeral of horse-taming Hector.” Sepulcher entered English in the 13th century.

Emergency Services Authority Meeting

Only three members of the emergency services authority attended the meeting yesterday at the Peaine Township Hall. The meeting was scheduled at 2 p.m. on March 29, 2018. The first thing announced was the resignation of member David Howell. Jim McDonough was absent from the meeting. The newest member Bob Turner, Bill Kohls, and Kathleen McNamara were present.

Thank you to Pam Grassmick for doing this video!

View video of the meeting HERE

Shamus Norgaard Interviews Robert Cole 2005

This interview took place in 2005 in late August. The topics included commercial fishing, the loss of three friends, growing up in a large family on the island, and the passing of an era of commercial fishing for his family and him. For those that remember this time, a few tissues might be in order, as the editor had to stop the video a few times to wipe away the tears. This interview does an amazing job of giving the spirit of the island families and the feelings about those who share the island living experience.

View the video interview HERE

Timeout for Art: Collage

by Cindy Ricksgers

Phyllis' Daily Weather

March 29, 2018

Partly cloudy skies, 34°, feels like 27°, wind is from the west at 7 mph, humidity is at 92%, pressure is rising from 29.92 inches, and visibility is 5.9 miles.
TODAY: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 30s. Northwest winds at 15 mph.
TONIGHT: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph.

ON THIS DATE of March 29, 1951, in one of the most sensational trials in American history, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are convicted of espionage for their role in passing atomic secrets to the Soviets during and after World War II. The husband and wife were later sentenced to death and were executed in 1953.

The conviction of the Rosenbergs was the climax of a fast-paced series of events that were set in motion with the arrest of British physicist Klaus Fuchs in Great Britain in February 1950. British authorities, with assistance from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, gathered evidence that Fuchs, who worked on developing the atomic bomb both in England and the United States during World War II, had passed top-secret information to the Soviet Union. Fuchs almost immediately confessed his role and began a series of accusations.

Fuchs confessed that American Harry Gold had served as a courier for the Soviet agents to whom Fuchs passed along his information. American authorities captured Gold, who thereupon pointed the finger at David Greenglass, a young man who worked at the laboratory where the atomic bomb had been developed. Gold claimed Greenglass was even more heavily involved in spying than Fuchs. Upon his arrest, Greenglass readily confessed and then accused his sister and brother-in-law, Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, of being the spies who controlled the entire operation. Both Ethel and Julius had strong leftist leanings and had been heavily involved in labor and political issues in the United States during the late-1930s and 1940s. Julius was arrested in July and Ethel in August 1950.

By present-day standards, the trial was remarkably fast. It began on March 6, and the jury had convicted both of conspiracy to commit espionage by March 29. The Rosenbergs were not helped by a defense that many at the time, and since, have labeled incompetent. More harmful, however, was the testimony of Greenglass and Gold. Greenglass declared that Julius Rosenberg had set up a meeting during which Greenglass passed the plans for the atomic bomb to Gold. Gold supported Greenglass’s accusation and admitted that he then passed the plans along to a Soviet agent. This testimony sealed Julius’s fate, and although there was little evidence directly tying Ethel to the crime, prosecutors claimed that she was the brain behind the whole scheme. The jury found both guilty. A few days later, the Rosenbergs were sentenced to death. They were executed on June 19, 1953 in Sing Sing Prison in New York. Both maintained their innocence to the end.

The Rosenberg case garnered worldwide attention. Their supporters claimed they were being made scapegoats to the Cold War hysteria that was sweeping America. The French writer and philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre called their execution a “legal lynching.” Others pointed out that even if the Rosenbergs did pass secrets along to the Soviets during World War II, Russia had been an ally, not an enemy, of the United States at the time. Those who supported the verdict insisted that the couple got what they deserved for endangering national security by giving top-secret information on a devastating weapon to communists.

DID YOU KNOW THAT Yoopers (everyone on the U.P., not just the guys in the band) refer to people from the rest of the state as “trolls” because they live “below the [Mackinac] bridge.” Other nicknames are flatlanders and lopers, the latter name being short for Lower Peninsula.

WORD OF THE DAY: metathesis (muh-TATH-uh-sis) which means the transposition of letters, sounds, or syllables in a word. Example: aks for ask. Via Latin from Greek metatithenai (to transpose), from meta- (among, after) + tithenai (to place). Earliest documented use: 1538.

Fish Tug Saga Comes to an End

The Waabi Maang had been stuck in the ice without fuel for 24 hours when the Hollyhock, a USCG cutter appeared on the horizon and approached the fish tug. The question on everyone's mind was related to the draft of the Hollyhock, and the location of the fish tug.

It kept getting later and later and the Hollyhock needed to be careful since it draws 4 meters, a little over 12 feet of water. There was a concern due to the depth of the water and the rocks that might be encountered.

But the Hollyhock kept coming in slowly and maneuvering into a position to be able to tow the fish tug. It was well after dark when the Hollyhock began towing the fish tug toward the Whiskey Point CMU dock.

View a gallery of pictures HERE

View video of this story HERE

Rose Connaghan Interview in 2008

Rose Connaghan was interview as part of the oral history project of the Beaver Island Historical Society. This interview was done by Shamus Norgaard at Rose's home on the Kings Highway. Rose talks about living at Greenetown when she was younger and school as well as leaving the island to work.

View video of this interview HERE

Fish Tug Waabi Maang Stuck in Ice

Justin Kenwabikise has a new fish tug, the Waabi Maang. Yesterday, he and his father Joe Kenwabikise decided to make the trip to Beaver Island from Charlevoix. They left there at 10:30 a.m. yesterday. They made just inside the one mile buoy about 8 p.m. Shortly thereafter, they got stuck in the ice. The USCG helicopter brought them food and something to keep warm this morning early.

It is rumored that they are out of fuel and stuck in the ice. Bud Martin has been contacted the Coast Guard and asked to try to get the tug some fuel. The rumors fly in this small town, but mostly you can see the look of concern on everyone's faces and wishing of them well.

9 p.m. March 25, 2018, from Whiskey Point

8 a.m. March 26, 2018, from Public Beach

8:30 a.m., March 26, 2018 from Whiskey Point

View a gallery of pictures HERE

At 8:20 a.m. this morning, a live stream took place from Whiskey Point with a report, but no recording was done of that stream. Here is the edited video from last night and today so far. It's 10 a.m.


Island Airways flew over the tug and got some pictures this morning, March 28, 2018, just as the video was being set up.

This give a perspective of the location of the tug related to the town area.

Thank you to Island Airways for sharing these pictures!

Phyllis' Daily Weather

March 28, 2018

We didn't make it off-island for the Chrism Mass due to thick fog, but we had a lovely, intimate (just six people) Mass at our own Holy Cross followed by lunch at Stoney Acres. We were back at Stoney for Happy Hour/$2 Tuesday/Dick Burris' First Heavenly Birthday Party (it was wonderful, Amy). The fish tug is still working its way here. The Coast Guard has been offering their hand. Hopefully, they will be on the sod by the end of the day. Right now we have partly cloudy skies, 29°, feels like 26°, wind is at 3 mph from the south, humidity is at 93%, pressure is steady at 30.06 inches, and visibility is 5.3 miles.
TODAY: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 40s. South winds at 10 mph.
TONIGHT: Mostly clear. Lows in the lwoer 30s. South winds at 10 mph.

ON THIS DATE of March 28, 1979, at 4 a.m., the worst accident in the history of the U.S. nuclear power industry begins when a pressure valve in the Unit-2 reactor at Three Mile Island fails to close. Cooling water, contaminated with radiation, drained from the open valve into adjoining buildings, and the core began to dangerously overheat.

The Three Mile Island nuclear power plant was built in 1974 on a sandbar on Pennsylvania’s Susquehanna River, just 10 miles downstream from the state capitol in Harrisburg. In 1978, a second state-of-the-art reactor began operating on Three Mile Island, which was lauded for generating affordable and reliable energy in a time of energy crises.

After the cooling water began to drain out of the broken pressure valve on the morning of March 28, 1979, emergency cooling pumps automatically went into operation. Left alone, these safety devices would have prevented the development of a larger crisis. However, human operators in the control room misread confusing and contradictory readings and shut off the emergency water system. The reactor was also shut down, but residual heat from the fission process was still being released. By early morning, the core had heated to over 4,000 degrees, just 1,000 degrees short of meltdown. In the meltdown scenario, the core melts, and deadly radiation drifts across the countryside, fatally sickening a potentially great number of people.

As the plant operators struggled to understand what had happened, the contaminated water was releasing radioactive gases throughout the plant. The radiation levels, though not immediately life-threatening, were dangerous, and the core cooked further as the contaminated water was contained and precautions were taken to protect the operators. Shortly after 8 a.m., word of the accident leaked to the outside world. The plant’s parent company, Metropolitan Edison, downplayed the crisis and claimed that no radiation had been detected off plant grounds, but the same day inspectors detected slightly increased levels of radiation nearby as a result of the contaminated water leak. Pennsylvania Governor Dick Thornburgh considered calling an evacuation.

Finally, at about 8 p.m., plant operators realized they needed to get water moving through the core again and restarted the pumps. The temperature began to drop, and pressure in the reactor was reduced. The reactor had come within less than an hour of a complete meltdown. More than half the core was destroyed or molten, but it had not broken its protective shell, and no radiation was escaping. The crisis was apparently over.

Two days later, however, on March 30, a bubble of highly flammable hydrogen gas was discovered within the reactor building. The bubble of gas was created two days before when exposed core materials reacted with super-heated steam. On March 28, some of this gas had exploded, releasing a small amount of radiation into the atmosphere. At that time, plant operators had not registered the explosion, which sounded like a ventilation door closing. After the radiation leak was discovered on March 30, residents were advised to stay indoors. Experts were uncertain if the hydrogen bubble would create further meltdown or possibly a giant explosion, and as a precaution Governor Thornburgh advised “pregnant women and pre-school age children to leave the area within a five-mile radius of the Three Mile Island facility until further notice.” This led to the panic the governor had hoped to avoid; within days, more than 100,000 people had fled surrounding towns.

On April 1, President Jimmy Carter arrived at Three Mile Island to inspect the plant. Carter, a trained nuclear engineer, had helped dismantle a damaged Canadian nuclear reactor while serving in the U.S. Navy. His visit achieved its aim of calming local residents and the nation. That afternoon, experts agreed that the hydrogen bubble was not in danger of exploding. Slowly, the hydrogen was bled from the system as the reactor cooled.

At the height of the crisis, plant workers were exposed to unhealthy levels of radiation, but no one outside Three Mile Island had their health adversely affected by the accident. Nonetheless, the incident greatly eroded the public’s faith in nuclear power. The unharmed Unit-1 reactor at Three Mile Island, which was shut down during the crisis, did not resume operation until 1985. Cleanup continued on Unit-2 until 1990, but it was too damaged to be rendered usable again. In the more than two decades since the accident at Three Mile Island, not a single new nuclear power plant has been ordered in the United States.

DID YOU KNOW THAT the world's largest limestone quarry is located near Rogers City, Michigan? At 8,024 acres, Rogers City 4 miles long and 1.5 miles wide Limestone Quarry is the world's largest. Currently operated by Carmeuse Lime and Stone, 115 employees work here with loader vehicles that have 13ft high tires and carry up to 195 tons (ie: 390,000 lbs.) of limestone. Founded in 1912, the Rogers Quarry also produces many 325 million year old Devonian fossils and is an extremely unique location. There are two yellow observation platforms. One is located at the end of Harbor View and the other is at Quarry View Road and US-23.

WORD OF THE DAY: babble (BAB-uhl) which means foolish, excited, or incoherent chatter. Probably from the repetition of the syllable ba, which occurs in a child’s early speech. Earliest documented use: 1250. The word babel (as in the Tower of Babel) has nothing to do with babbling or blabbing.

What Did You Say 24

by Joe Moore

What Did You Say 24
By Joe Moore

The current year is 2017 at the beginning of February.  When comparing some statistics between years of emergencies, this year has been one of the busiest.  There have been as many emergent air transports this year as there were in a three to four month period in the previous year.  In some urban places, this might really mean something.  In a rural area, the significance of these numbers not only decreases, but also loses any meaning at all.  There were just more folks with serious problems this year in this month than in the same months last year.  That’s all that can be said about that.

This type of sequential increases and decreases have happened over the last thirty years. 

Read the rest of the story HERE

Chicken Memories, Part 1

by Cindy Ricksgers

Graduation from BICS in 2004

The graduation ceremonies from Beaver Island Community School in years past took place in the Holy Cross Parish Hall. Previous to that, graduation took place in the Holy Cross Church. So this tape is an historical event video tape. In the modern times, graduation takes place in the BI Community Center, along with most of the school plays and concerts. This graduation was back when the editor was still teaching at the school, and has some personal memories attached to it.

The video is part of the collection of videos at the Beaver Island Historical Society. Many thanks to them and to the videographer for this glance back to the past.

Juniors await the procession.

The graduation class and Ms. McNamara........Kerry Gillespie................Jody Croswhite...........................

Hilary sings......................Graduation ends

View video HERE

Weather by Joe

for March 27, 2018

It doesn't take a weatherman to look outside this morning and note that it is soggy out there. Rain means that the temperature is above freezing, so the temperature is 39 degrees just before 9 a.m. The humidity is 100%, the pressure is 29.90, and the dewpoint is 38.7 degrees, which means it is likely to be foggy as well. The wind is from the SE at 7 mph.

Today: Rain in the morning, then chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 40s. South winds 5 to 15 mph shifting to the west in the afternoon.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy in the evening then clearing. Lows in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 10 mph.

Word of the Day: confabulate (kuh n-fab-yuh-leyt) verb meaning to converse informally or chat. From from Latin confābulārī, from fābulārī to talk, from fābula a story; see fable

On this Day: Cleopatra once again became Queen of Egypt after going to war with her lover, Julius Caesar, against her brother. BCE 57

"Mr. Television" Milton Berle dies in Los Angeles. Milton Berle was one of the most popular entertainers in early television. 2002

Nikita Kruschev become premier of the Soviet Union 1958

Did you know? We live in earth, but earth is the only planet in the solar system that is not named after a god. Ever thought about this fact? Quite surprising!

Early Elementary Raises Funds

The early elementary students are hosting a coin drive! We need your help. Please empty your change jars in one of our drop boxes. All proceeds will go to Caitlin Boyle’s Medical Fund. Watch our video to find out more about the project and how it works. Come on Beaver Island, let’s “be the change”.


Mass from Holy Cross Palm Sunday Services

March 25, 2018

There were 22 views of the live stream of the two services this weekend

The Saturday afternoon service was at 4 p.m. and featured Kathleen McNamara Green as reader, and Patrick Nugent reading the Passion with Father Jim Siler, the celebrant. Sunday morning included a procession from the Holy Cross Hall to the Holy Cross Catholic Church to signify Christ's entry into the town of Jerusalem. The second name of this service is Passion Sunday. The second name comes from the fact that the narrative of the Passion is read on this Sunday, and wouldn't be read on a Sunday if it didn't happen the week before Easter.

Kathleen McNamara Green did the readings while the server and Father Jim looked on during the Saturday service

The Passion was read.

Father Jim and Patrick Nugent reading the Passion.

Jacque LaFreniere did the readings on Sunday.

Father Jim Siler gives the sermon.

View Video of the service HERE

Cull Reunion Dance

This is another of the collection of tapes from the Beaver Island Historical Society collection that Editor Joe Moore is digittizing and presenting to BINN subscribers. This tape does nto have much identification information on it, but it is a wonderful look at the past.

There are so many musicians and island people involved in this particular tape that no number of pictures will cover all of them, so no pictures are going to be posted for this tape. This tape includes the Cull Reunion with saxophone, trumpet, guitar, keyboard, bass, piano, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and one very youong Jewell Gillespie Cushman with a guitar. The tape also includes Joe Cunningham and Josh Broder talking about a musical about King Strang, and a few other things including part of the 155th anniversary of Peaine Township with John Works.. The tape is not labeled with a date. The best guess is between 2000 and 2002. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

View video of this tape HERE



Cinematic Tour of Beaver Island

The Chamber of Commerce of Beaver Island has posted this, and BINN found it on facebook. It's a very nice video, viewable on YouTube.

View it here

Holocaust Survivor Martin Lowenberg

Video by Kaylyn Jones HERE

Airport Commission Meeting

April 1, 2017

View video of the meeting HERE

Emergency Services Authority


BICS Board Meetings

November 14, 2016

School Board Meeting Packet HERE

View video of the meeting HERE


Anti-Bullying Presentation to BICS Parents

View presentation HERE

Peaine Township Meeting

Peaine Annual Meetings

View video of the meeting HERE

Peaine Township Meeting Minutes

for February 2018


St. James Township Meeting Video


View video of this meeting HERE

Link to the Beaver Island Airport 10-year Plan

On the Beach of Beaver Island

You will need Quicktime or another music player to enjoy this link.

The music played in the Holy Cross Hall in the late 70's and early 80's, recorded for posterity and shared here.

When Santa Missed the Boat to Beaver Island

as read by Phil Gregg

Click HERE

Meeting Minutes

The minutes of all public meetings will be posted

as soon as they are received.

News on the 'Net welcomes minutes to all public meetings. All organizations are welcome to submit meeting minutes for publication on this website. Please email them to medic5740@gmail.com.

Airport Committee Minutes

Beaver Island Cultural Arts Association Minutes

Beaver Island District Library Board Minutes

Peaine Township Board Minutes

BIRHC Board Meeting Minutes

St. James Township Meeting Minutes

Beaver Island Community School Board Meeting Minutes

Beaver Island Ecotourism Goals Draft, rev. 3, 19 Jan 2010

Beaver Island Natural Resources and Eco-Tourism Steering Committee Minutes

Beaver Island Transportation Authority Minutes

Joint Human Resources Commission Minutes

Waste Management Committee Minutes

Beaver Island Airport Commission Minutes New for 2011!

Subscriptions Expire

You can subscribe online by using PayPal and a credit card. Please click the link below if you wish to renew online:


BIRHC Meeting Minutes for February and March 2018

February 10, 2018, minutes

Draft minutes March 10, 2018

St. James Election Committee Meeting Scheduled

April 6, 2018, at 10 a.m. at Governmental Center

View announcement HERE

52 Lists for Happiness #13

by Cindy Ricksgers

Conklin Celi Band and Twinning Slide Show and Video 2003

The Band

The most interesting thing in this particular tape, part of the Beaver Island Historical Society collection, isn't the band performance, although it is very nice music. The pictures of the Beaver Islander visit to Ireland and the videos are the most interesting part of this particular rape.

View video of this event HERE

Beautiful Ice

The ice is ever-changing based upon the wind direction and the temperature changes. This is a view of the ice at Gull Harbor at just one moment in time.

On the next day, the blew into the harbor and blocked its opening, standing this one chunk up on its side.

Visiting Deer

Since the building of the medical center and the senior housing complex, there hasn't been much in the way of visiting deer near the intersection of King's Highway and Carlisle Road. On this particular day, the neighbors were gone and the medical center was closed. These deer came down the driveway across the Highway and stood in the roadway checking out the turkeys that had been fed corn. Most of the corn was gone, as well as most of the turkeys. There was no way to get a picture by going out the door without scaring the deer away. There were at leasst seven deer in the group. It was surely nice to be able to see some of these from inside your home.

Sunday's Eagles

Yesterday, Sunday, March 25, 2018, revealed that there are at least six eagles in the harbor area. There was an adult eagle in the eagle tree at Gull Harbor, and five other eagles on the harbor ice at one time. The sightings of eagles never bores the editor, and three separate trips were made into town to try to capture all these eagles at once, but, everytime a trip was made and an attempt to get out of the vehicle to take a picture, the eagles flew off. They were gone before the car could stop and the cameraman could jump out of the car. Here are a few of the pictures that were captured, out of many taken. The word snap fits perfectly in the jump out and push the button with no time to do any settings or plan the perfect shot.

Phyllis' Daily Weather

March 26, 2018

Tomorrow I'm headed off-island on an early flight to attend the Chrism Mass in Gaylord, so Joe will be doing the weather. At the moment here it's clear skies, 25°, feels like 19°, wind is at 6 mph from the east, humidity is at 83%, pressure is steady at 30.48 inches, and visibility is 9 miles.
TODAY: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph.
TONIGHT: Rain after midnight. Lows in the upper 30s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.

ON THIS DATE of March 26, 1832, the steamboat Yellowstone heads for Montana.

The mighty American Fur Company adopts the latest in transportation technology to its business, dispatching the company’s new steamboat Yellowstone to pick up furs in Montana.

A decade earlier, John Jacob Astor had formed the Western Department of his American Fur Company to begin exploiting the fur trade in the western reaches of the continent. In 1828, Astor established a large trading post called Fort Union at the strategically important point where the Yellowstone River merged with the Missouri. Located near what would later be the Montana-North Dakota state line, Fort Union allowed Astor to dominate the fur trade of the northern plains and Rockies.

With ruthless efficiency, Astor’s American Fur Company steadily undercut and eliminated its competitors. The company had the financial resources to invest in competitive advantages that smaller companies like the Rocky Mountain Fur Company could not afford. Far from being a rustic backwoods operation, Astor’s company was one of the most modern and progressive corporations of its day. In 1830, Astor saw an opportunity to use a new technology to further consolidate his stranglehold over the western fur trade: the steamboat.

The paddle-wheel steamboat New Orleans had begun regular service on the lower Mississippi only 18 years earlier. During the 1820s, steamboats occasionally ventured as far north on the Missouri as Council Bluffs. Now the American Fur Company boldly proposed to extend regular steam service all the way up to its Fort Union trading post at the mouth of the Yellowstone.

The company hired a Louisville shipyard to build a boat specially designed for the treacherous currents of the Missouri. Christened The Yellowstone, it was a sturdy craft with a large cargo deck to carry furs and trade goods. It had a high wheelhouse from which the pilot could see to avoid the many snags and shoals of the Missouri.

Departing from St. Louis on this day in 1832, The Yellowstone reached Fort Union in June, where the craft attracted the marveling admiration of Anglo traders and Indians alike. Thereafter, The Yellowstone and a fleet of similarly designed steamboats regularly traveled to Fort Union-when the water level was not too low or the rivers frozen.

While the American Fur Company modernized with steamboats, its less affluent competitors continued to rely on small, man-powered keelboats to move their furs and trade goods. By the mid-1830s, boats like the Yellowstone had helped Astor eliminate lesser fur companies and the American Fur Company enjoyed a virtual monopoly over the Far Western fur trade.

DID YOU KNOW THAT One of the world's largest registered Holstein herds can be found at Green Meadow Farms in the appropriately-named village of Elsie, Michigan? The farm consists of 6,500 acres of land and 9,500 head of cattle, many of which are registered. The majority of the herd is Holsteins with a few Brown Swiss.

WORD OF THE DAY: genethliac (juh-NETH-lee-ak) which means of or relating to birthdays or to the position of the stars at one's birth. If any word occurs exclusively in grad school seminars, papers, theses, and dissertations, genethliac is that word. The Latin adjective and noun genethliacus “pertaining to one’s hour of birth or a birthday; an astrologer who calculates such an hour or day,” is an extension of the Greek adjective genethliakós “pertaining to a birthday.” Latin also possesses a noun genethliacon “birthday poem,” derived from but not existing in Greek. Birthdays and birthday celebrations were bigger affairs among Roman men than among the Greeks because one’s birthday also involved the cult of the genius, the attendant spirit or “guardian angel,” so to speak, of every freeborn male but especially of the paterfamilias. Latin genethliaca “birthday poems” arose as a distinct genre in the first century b.c. Genethliac entered English in the 16th century.

Christian Church Bulletin

March 25, 2018

Emergency Services Authority

March 29, 2018 at 2 p.m.

Draft Minutes 1 25 18 Beaver Island Emergency Services Authority

By-Law article VI Advisory Committees

BIESA Agenda 03-29-18 Draft


Island Summit Final Reports

The Island Summit took place down at the CMU Biological Center on the east side of Beaver Island this past September from the 23-25. There were participants from twelve Great Lakes islands. These are the reports from that summit.

Short Summary

Complete Report

BIRHC Board Meeting Dates

2018 Meeting Dates

March 10

June 16

September 15

December 8 (Annual Meeting)

BICS Meeting Schedules

BI Transportation Authority Meeting Schedule

Library Story Times

Please join early childhood educator, Kim Mitchell, for story time with your baby, toddler, or preschooler beginning Monday, September 11. 2017, at 10:30 a.m.. As well as reading stories, also included are songs, finger plays, movement, art, and free-play. Each week will focus on a specific theme along with activities to develop listening, socialization, gross and fine motor skill-building, creativity, as well as play-time while caregivers get a chance to socialize, and of course, check out books!

No cost is required, but registration is appreciated so enough materials are available, though visitors to the island are welcome to drop-in. Kim has taught toddler play groups for Lamaze and preschool and has numerous books, toys, and activities she would love to share. If interested, please contact Kim at beaverislandkim@gmail.com or call 448-2532.

New Library Hours

The Beaver Island District Library is pleased to announce new hours of operation intended to optimize the availability of our facility, staff, and resources to the school.

*Note also the new closing time for the school year.*

Weekdays:   8:30 - 5:00

Saturday:   12:00 - 5:00

Weekdays during scheduled school breaks, the library will open at 10:00 and close at 5:00.

St. James Meetings for 2018-19

BICS Committee Meeting Schedule

BIESA Meeting Schedule

Fiscal Year 2017-18 Meeting Schedule


April 2018 Bulletin from Holy Cross


Christian Church Bulletin

March 25, 2018

BICS Calendar 2017-18

HSC Meeting Dates Schedule

Donate to the Food Pantry

Use this button below to donate to the Food Pantry.

Donation goes to the Christian Church Food Pantry--Click the Donate Button on the far left and above.

Donate to the Live Streaming Project

The Live Streaming Project includes BICS Sports Events, Peaine Township Meetings, Joint Township Meetings, and much more.

Your donation may allow these events to be live streamed on the Internet at http://beaverisland.tv